Medical & scientific illustration is a small and specialized field, so you probably have questions about how we work. At Studio Kayama, we strive for the smoothest illustration creation process for our clients.
Here’s a step-by-step guide. If we still haven’t answered your questions, please contact us, and we’ll be more than happy to discuss to address your questions and concerns.
- Contact us! First of all, tell us a little bit about your project, interests, and preferences. You may contact us via our contact form , email, telephone, or in person.
Since every project is unique, it is very difficult to come up with an accurate estimate for your project without first assessing the scope of the project.
- Project Description (What is the subject matter? Print, web, or both? How big? How complex? What style? Who is the main audience? How are the illustrations used?)
- Schedule (how soon do you want the visuals? Our typical process takes 5-8 weeks, so please plan accordingly)
- Budget (Which department isn’t facing budget cuts? We offer payment plans and will be more than happy to address your budget needs)
- To make this process simpler, we created a project inquiry form.
- Delivery of complimentary project proposal. Once we review your project, we will send you a project proposal.
It will outline:
- Estimated schedule (typically 3 deadlines: initial sketch, final sketch with rough color, final delivery)
- Estimated cost breakdown (If creating a series of work, estimate for each illustration)
- Detailed scope of the project (Size, format, style, level of detail)
- Granted Rights Transferred (in what ways you can use the illustrations)
- Signed Letter of Agreement.After you, the client, approves our project proposal, Studio Kayama will draft the letter of agreement. Before we put down one pencil on paper to start sketching, we first need to agree on the scope of the project. This is for record keeping purposes, and helps us keep the project on schedule and within budget. The letter of agreement will also outline the graduated payment schedule. Our typical payment schedule is as follows:
- 25% due upon signing of the letter of agreement to start your project.
- 50% due upon submission of final artwork for final review.
- 25% due upon delivery of production-ready files.
- Illustration Rounds. Typically, you will have three (3) rounds of sketch reviews so we may make corrections and customize the illustration just the way you want. Because of the nature of our work, accuracy of the subject matter is guaranteed.
After each round is delivered, you have the option to request changes, corrections, or updates.
As the project evolves, we may have to add extra figures or take figures out. The changes will be reflected in the addendum to letter of agreement, which will be reviewed and accepted by both parties.
**Important**Each round of artwork needs to be approved before starting on the next round.
- 1st round: initial sketch and concept art
- 2nd round: final sketch with rough color
- 3rd round: final color with full render
- Delivery of Production-Ready files. After all the final artwork are approved, we will format the files to the desired specifications so they can go straight to the web designer, editor, or the printer. We will send you a link to download the illustration files from our server. If you would like the final delivery in other formats, please let us know.
We will be also happy to work with your design team with labeling and layout. Just ask!
So what’s your next step?
[bra_button text=’Get more information first’ url=’../../contact-2′ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ style=’rounded’ color=’red’]
[bra_button text=’Get started’ url=’../../contact-2/project-inquiry-form/’ target=’_blank’ size=’medium’ style=’rounded’ color=’red’]